Re: Copying and pasting Cyrillic text between Emacs and other apps

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Copying and pasting Cyrillic text between Emacs and other apps
Date: 28 Jan 2004 08:54:12 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@elta.co.il> writes:

> Emacs in CVS can use UTF-8, UTF-16-BE and UTF-16-LE as well.  I tried
> them, but the Windows clipboard viewer still shows garbage when I
> type "C-x RET X ENCODING RET M-w" (where ENCODING is one of the UTF-*
> encodings mentioned above) with Cyrillic characters in the region.

Your system default is probably whatever 8bit encoding Windows uses
for Hebrew (I suspect not the ISO one). It is not UTF-8 or UTF-16.

> What is it that Emacs doesn't do right here?

Emacs doesn't use UNICODE_TEXT format. Maybe it should, but we have
to detect if it is available somehow, since blindly using it will
cause other apps to see nothing on the clipboard. We also need to
know whether CJK tables are loaded in East Asian locales, or Emacs'
conversion to UTF-16 will produce garbage, and we'll end up with worse
results than using the system default encoding for most East Asian users.