help-gengetopt

[help-gengetopt] Re: wishlist: mandatory parameters

From: T
Subject: [help-gengetopt] Re: wishlist: mandatory parameters
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 11:20:22 -0400

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 10:38:06 +0200, Lorenzo Bettini wrote:

> T wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I found that gengetopt is very useful. However, I wish it can
>> handle (at least document) mandatory parameters as well.
>>
>> By "mandatory parameter" I don't mean setting the required field as
>> required for "option", but real parameters. like for command cp:
>>
>>  cp [options] <source> <dest>
>>
>> the "source" & "dest".
>
> you mean have some "unnamed options" as required?

I don't know what your "unnamed options" means exactly. I search for the
keyword "unnamed" in the manual but didn't find anything. Anyway, I meant:

Currently, gengetopt only handle switches. The usage message is:

  Usage: sample1 [OPTIONS]...

  -h, --help              Print help and exit
      --full-help         Print help, including hidden options, and exit

I want, with the help of "mandatory parameter", it can be:

  Usage: sample1 [OPTIONS]... SOURCE DEST

  SOURCE mandatory parameter to ...
  DEST ... copy SOURCE to DEST

  -h, --help              Print help and exit
      --full-help         Print help, including hidden options, and exit

or something like that.

Hope I've made it clearer this time.

thanks