help-cfengine

Re: No reliable outputs in 2.1.15 ?

From: Chip Seraphine
Subject: Re: No reliable outputs in 2.1.15 ?
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 12:55:30 -0500

Can't help you with the outputs stuff; I've generally been mystified by them myself. A fellow on the list (JayKim) has recently started looking into that though, so it may improve in the future.

As for building from scratch, I'd recommend it. Cfengine revs frequently, and RPMs won't always keep up. Also, you might want to put your own custom tweaks in (for example, I always change the hard coded default LOG_DAEMON and LOG_USER openlog calls in log.c to LOG_LOCAL1, which cuts down on the noise in my messages file).

David Masterson wrote:

I've begun setting up a CFEngine environment here.  I've installed cfengine
from RPMs off of Dag Wieers site and that got cfservd, cfenvd, and cfexecd
running on the systems at bootup.  I've configured a simple update.conf to
copy cfagent.conf and update.conf from the remote master directory to the
local "inputs" directory.  I have "force=true" in the copy and I see the copy
happening at hourly intervals (the timestamps on the files are updated and
.cfsaved files are created).  However, *most* of the time, I do not see a log
file being created in the "outputs" directory.  So, my questions are:

*       What is the "previous" link in the "outputs" directory?  What creates
it?  For what reason?  Why would it be removed or *not* created?
*       Assuming copies are happening, shouldn't output be created in the
"outputs" directory?  Is the daemons running incorrectly?
*       Should I abandon the RPMs and build cfengine from scratch?  Is there
reasons for building on a system from scratch?
*       Where in the documentation is the "outputs" directory discussed and
when output is created?  What about email to sysadm?

The following is my update.conf:

control:
   actionsequence = ( copy )
   domain = ( vmware.com )
   policyhost = ( cfengine.eng.vmware.com )

   master_cfinput = ( /home/cfengine/master/config/cfengine/inputs )
   local_cfinput = ( /var/cfengine/inputs )

copy:
   $(master_cfinput)            dest=$(local_cfinput)
                                recurse=inf
                                mode=600
                                owner=root
                                group=root