help-cfengine

Re: cfengine validation

From: David J. Bianco
Subject: Re: cfengine validation
Date: 22 Jan 2003 15:52:08 -0500

On Wed, 2003-01-22 at 14:49, Nathan Hubbard wrote:
> Howdy everybody.  I'd like to ask what methods the rest of you use to
> detect that cfengine is running properly on all hosts.  I run it on about
> 1300 machines and was thinking that copying an empty file from cfmaster,
> defining a class upon success; if that class is defined, running a script
> that connects to a database and reports cfengine is running properly on
> that host.

That sounds like a great way, assuming you run a report against the
database to regularly determine who hasn't logged an entry in a while.

My system is just to run a cron job on one of our machines that uses
cfrun to do a quick "poll" from all the machines for which the master
has exchanged keys.  I run this once a week and get a report of which
machines have failed, then I can log in and investigate manually.  It
seems to work out OK, and also lets me know if I have some stale keys
in my ppkeys directory.

        David

--
David J. Bianco <bianco@jlab.org>