Re: Errors when building from source

From: Wouter Beek
Subject: Re: Errors when building from source
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2018 05:04:38 -0500

Hi Akim,

> > From the above I had concluded that I should first compile Bison and
> > Flex later.
>
> Can't you get Flex from your distro?

Yes, I'm now installing Flex through the package system (2.6.1).

> > BTW, I also ran into the following error while running the `bootstrap'
> > script in my local Bison directory for the first time:
> >
> >    configure.ac:110: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_GNU_M4
> >        If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
> >        See the Autoconf documentation.
> >    autoreconf: /usr/bin/autoconf failed with exit status: 1
> >
> > The link `m4/m4.m4' was not present in my local Bison directory.
> > Following the discussion in
> > https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-bison/2011-05/msg00012.html, I
> > learned that running `git submodule update --init' prior to running
> > `bootstrap' fixes this.
>
> That's weird.  What "git status" noticing any difference?

Yes, the missing file seems to have been deleted:

```
$ git status
On branch master
Your branch is up to date with 'origin/master'.

Changes not staged for commit:
  (use "git add/rm <file>..." to update what will be committed)
  (use "git checkout -- <file>..." to discard changes in working directory)

    deleted:    m4/m4.m4

Untracked files:
  (use "git add <file>..." to include in what will be committed)

    .bootstrap13738.0
    .bootstrap13738.1
```

I now have a working build on another distribution (Fedora).  I still
encountered the above issue with the missing m4/m4.m4 file.

---
Cheers,
Wouter.