Re: GNU Bison off the endangered-species list

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: GNU Bison off the endangered-species list
Date: 16 Oct 2002 09:56:14 +0200

>>>>> "John" == John Aycock <address@hidden> writes:

John> Hi, Paul.  That's great news about the GLR parser; having one
John> bundled with Bison will dramatically expand the number of people
John> exposed to general parsers.  I look forward to trying it out!

The credits must go to Paul Hilfinger.

John> Biased suggestion: implement support for Schrödinger's Token
John> (see the paper in Software -- Practice & Experience 31, 8
John> (2001), pp. 803-814).

Is there any place from where this paper can be downloaded?

John> Unbiased suggestion: I'm not sure what flavor of the GLR
John> algorithm you're using, but some have (fixable) problems with
John> some grammars.  Offhand, I'd check infinite recursion (A -> A)
John> and hidden left recursion.

IIRC it is robust to cycles in the grammar, but it does not maximally
shares the stacks.  There is room for improvement, which means...
welcome to the development team :)