Re: [Health] Absolute beginner, still trying to understand if gnu health

From: Chris
Subject: Re: [Health] Absolute beginner, still trying to understand if gnu health is what I am looking for...
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2015 14:27:20 -0800

Hiya!

On 12/07/15, address@hidden wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have found gnu health just an hour ago, so please be patient, but I am
> trying to understand if the software fits my needs.
>
> I am looking for a tool to have satellite hospitals stock their DICOM
> images and other medical information/exams to a central remote database.
> In point of fact this is a (almost) unidirectional communication problem,
> so I could simply put a postgreSQL database on a remote server
>  and send data from the clients, but if some more advanced solution
> exists, which also gives me a framework in which a more complete medical
> record of patients can be maintained (with different exams, images...),
> I'd be happier and more prepared for future extensions of the project.
>
> Gnu health looks a possible choice, as I have read that it can be used to
> stock patients' images.
> So far I have downloaded the tryton client, and connected to the demo
> database.

Thanks for the interest! =-)

> Questions:
> 1) is gnu health good for me? Can I send images (e.g. dicomdir) and other
> data from the client? How?

You can store images, files, etc. from the client, attaching them to
patient records. However, I think you mean something more.

> 2) is the tryton client the only choice to access the database? As my aim
> is data sending and storing, I want to give the physician a very simple
> interface (e.g. (a) choose the patient id, (b) select the data type, such
> as CT image or blood smear test, (c) attach the file(s), dicom or a scan,
> (d) send): can I use some gnu health API to do this and code myself a
> simple client side?

The only true client, yes. However, there is work on a web interface, too. In
addition, you can code your own very simple client, using the provided
libraries. See: https://pypi.python.org/pypi/proteus/3.8.0 - even create
a webapp with the Flask-Tryton, Flask-Django, etc. plugins. =-)

> 3) where should I set the language? I wish it to work in italian: is this
> a server-side option?

You can set the language by using User > Preferences > Languge.

> As I said in the beginning, please be patient for my newbie questions, but
> some answers can make me save a lot of time...

No worries about it! Sorry about the delay, been busy IRL.

It sounds like what you need is something either more limited and
specialized, or more complex, than Health. For example, simple backup of
data (the simple case) can be done, as you said, with routine database
pushes. Consolidating and combining different EHR data, however, into
a cogent whole is a distinct challenge. On the other hand, if all are
Health installations, they can synchro between instances. There are
open-source DICOM servers that provide the capability you are talking
about. For example, orthanc - http://orthanc-server.com/

Maybe some others can respond, too, but I would say, Health probably
isn't good for your use case.

Thanks again!

-C