gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] Literal names in the structure

From: Benja Fallenstein
Subject: Re: [Gzz] Literal names in the structure
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 13:26:57 +0100

Rauli Ruohonen wrote:
I looked at the recent RDF stuff, and while I think that it's the right
direction to go to (it even feels almost like high time to do that ;-),
there's one thing that bugs me with it: literal strings in places
where they don't belong to. (or maybe I'm mistaken, I did look at it
rather superficially.. yet, most systems still get this wrong)

Anything that doesn't come with a content-type, that can't be replaced
e.g. with a silly animated png of a bear or something, should be a
randomly generated bit string, or otherwise complete gibberish to a human.

Literals in RDF are text string *representations* of actual values. For example, string "714" with datatype xsd:integer (or :int, dunno) is the number sevenhundredandfourteen. One could use binary, but strings make the serialization human-readable.

When using Unicode, people somehow feel like it's much "safer" than ASCII,
that anything can be plausibly written in it. But anything can be
plausibly written in ASCII, or encoded to 0 and 1..  Unicode is not the
> be-all end-all of character encodings; there are many characters in the
> Asian languages that can not be written in it, and in some fields it
> causes a bit of a problem when people can't write the special vocabulary
> of the field as they wish to.

Yes, but Unicode goes a much longer way than ASCII. I think it's more culturally sensitive to have serializations in incomplete Unicode than plain ASCII that can encode zero Asian ideographs.

New symbols may also appear in math etc. One
should always be allowed to resort to using PNG etc., or better yet,
scalable font using a non-unicode character set.

One should also be able to emphasize words. Both of these are tasks handled by markup languages on top of plain Unicode literals.

There's also that everything (with URI, of course, every concept has an
URI ;-) has many names, and more than one per language. Which one is shown
should be determined by the user, not hard-coded anywhere, especially in a
place that's hard to change.

RDF deals with different names in different languages. We will build our views so that users can change the way the label shown for a URI is computed. (E.g. first name/last name/full name/name (age) etc. for people.)

A-J wrote:
The important advantage of ISO 10646 and Unicode is that they are
extensible character sets.  New mathematical characters are created, and
when they get significant use, they are allocated code points.  Witness
the new characters in 3.2, for encoding Z.

Seconded.

Tuukka wrote:
I hope all media we're going to use is xanalogical anyway and not RDF literals :-)

Um, both? How would you express xanalogical media in RDF except as literals?

Of course, we won't usually show the actual string content of the literal (<xu:span uri="..." pos="17" len="6">foobar</xu:span>...).

Tuomas wrote:
I hope all media we're going to use is xanalogical anyway and not RDF
literals :-) But one idea in using RDF is that we could better collaborate with others. That's why Loom starts as a browser to *general* RDF data, including data that uses literals to express all terminals.

I see xanalogical media here as essentially another mapping: a map from URIs
to enfilades.

I don't understand this.

- Benja