gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] Tuukka 2002-08-27 (source package)

From: Tuukka Hastrup
Subject: Re: [Gzz] Tuukka 2002-08-27 (source package)
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 11:05:46 +0300 (EEST)

On Wed, 28 Aug 2002, Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho wrote:
> On 20020828T103829+0300, Tuukka Hastrup wrote:
> > "Dissenting opinion"? %-) The idea is that all those files are generated
> > from sources, and now that 'make clean' really cleans, it shouldn't be
> > necessary anymore to do a "clean checkout" every once in a while.
>
> I understand the reasoning, but to use rm -rf for anything that does not
> absolutely need it is IMHO dangerous (most of them are plain files).

Sorry, "Ouch." didn't aim clearly to the flags. -R is needed as there are
some directories, and -f is the only way to ignore nonexistent files. Or
would you like 'rm 2>/dev/null' better?

If it helps anything, I could change it to
rm 2>&1 | grep -v "No such file or directory$"

And absolutely needed or not, rm is dangerous. But unless someone commits
'..' to the toplevel .cvsignore, we can't lose more than the cvs module -
please correct if I'm wrong. And my rm answers to 'rm -Rf ..' with "rm:
cannot remove `.' or `..'

--
-- Trying to catch me? Just follow up my Electric Fingerprints
-- To help you: address@hidden