gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] Let's NOT use serialization!!!!

From: Benja Fallenstein
Subject: Re: [Gzz] Let's NOT use serialization!!!!
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 22:37:59 +0200

Benja Fallenstein wrote:

Tuomas Lukka wrote:

so I'm still in favour of using it.

I'm in favor of using the YAML serializer I've just written in two days (as opposed to multiple weeks). Ok, it may not be so good performance-wise (it's using Jython because the Python YAML module is under a free license and the Java one isn't yet), but it's human-readable and independent from Java and it can cope with changes in our source tree without changing the serialization format and it guarantees that the same SliceVersion is always serialized to exactly the same bytes and, not least of all, it *WORKS*.

Forgot to say-- but of course you *can* still use serialization-- things are modular enough, and I didn't remove the code for that. Though we probably want only one format when we start using a central repository again.

-b.