gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] Let's NOT use serialization!!!!

From: Tuomas Lukka
Subject: Re: [Gzz] Let's NOT use serialization!!!!
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 15:56:40 +0300

> You think that putting client functionality in the structure without
> having a fallback editor is bad? You think that not being able to edit
> the structure because something on the Java side has changed that
> renders the zz structure unusable is a difficult problem? You haven't
> tried to load a serialized object after making a change to one of the
> serialized classes.
>
> Serialization may be a cool thing when you have stable code, but we can
> *not* afford not being able to make changes to our serializable classes
> because it would break loading serialized objects.

I disagree: Sun defines very accurately what changes allow classes
to remain stable and what changes do not.

And if we really want incompatible changes, all we need to do is to define
new classes.

Serialization takes a lot of burden off our shoulders and is, performance-wise,
quite good (unlike some other designs ;), so I'm still in favour of using it.

        Tuomas