gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] Tuukka 2002-07-31 (buildbot, tests, PUIs)

From: Tuukka Hastrup
Subject: Re: [Gzz] Tuukka 2002-07-31 (buildbot, tests, PUIs)
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 14:23:21 +0300 (EEST)

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Tuomas Lukka wrote:
> > As a sidenote, I came up with a good improvement on PUI desktops. Later, I
> > found out it's a subset of "services" in NeXTSTEP, and that the subset is
> > already available for Sawfish as a module.
> KDE has Klipper.

Ok, I could have mentioned I've seen Klipper (it was started when I tried
Konqueror once), and that AFAIK it's very different. First of all, Klipper
pops up when it thinks I need it, not when I need it - I'd think you'd be
the first to dismiss it because of that :-)

Klipper shows its menu when it recognises some preconfigured pattern
arriving at the clipboard. So it pops up always I select something
starting with "http:" and never when I select something starting with
"somehost.example/" - not to speak of services like dictionary lookup
where any text is potential input.

Sawfish Services displays its menu when I trigger the configured binding.
This means I can select text and it won't interfere unless I decide I want
to use some service. I don't know how easy Klipper is to customize, but as
you can see from my Sawfish config, Services is pretty straightforward:
http://iki.fi/Tuukka/sawfishrc

The good in Klipper is you don't need to use keyboard. I might try to
change the Services list to a menu, but selection using keyboard with left
hand seems to be fast.

--
-- Trying to catch me? Just follow up my Electric Fingerprints
-- To help you: address@hidden