guix-devel

Re: ; XXX: remove when Inetutils suffices

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: ; XXX: remove when Inetutils suffices
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2019 12:22:52 -0400

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 11:44:20AM -0400, mikadoZero wrote:
> system.scm line 537:
>
> net-tools     ; XXX: remove when Inetutils suffices
>
> git log -L 537,537:system.scm outputs:
>
> commit 6f436c54d6d9698e62639de31a845cd9b9167423
> Date:   Wed Jun 4 2014
>
> This comment was committed in 2014.  Is inetutils at the point where
> net-tools can be removed?

Someone would have to audit the uses of the programs in net-tools and
decide if they are no longer needed in the base system, and if users do
not expect them anymore. They are old and venerable so they are sort of
sticky at this point, even if they no longer represent the state of the
art.

> What does XXX in a comment mean?  I have seen it a couple times.

It indicates something undesirable. Like a really nasty hack to
work-around something or a problem upstream that we have no good
solution for. Sort of like TODO but with extra complications.