guix-devel

Re: Missing fonts issue with GNU Icecat

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Missing fonts issue with GNU Icecat
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2018 16:07:12 +0100

Hi Daniel,

> Resolved by applying this advice (which is output when running `guix
> package -i pango` explicitly, but not when pango is installed as a
> dependency -- or I missed it):
>
> ```
> The following environment variable definitions may be needed:
>   export
> XDG_DATA_DIRS="$HOME/.guix-profile/share${XDG_DATA_DIRS:+:}$XDG_DATA_DIRS"
>   export
> GIO_EXTRA_MODULES="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/gio/modules${GIO_EXTRA_MODULES:+:}$GIO_EXTRA_MODULES"
> ```

I’m glad you figured this out.  I wonder if this means that we should
change the icecat package to set these variables (e.g. by adding a shell
wrapper).

What do others think?

> (Besides, the web site gives other mailing lists (not in the info
> manual)... maybe help-guix is better suited for this kind of issues.)

As it turns out that this might require changes to the icecat package,
maybe guix-devel is appropriate after all :) For other questions like
this, however, I’d suggest to ask on help-guix first.  Either way,
thanks for bringing this to our attention.

--
Ricardo