guix-devel

Re: Missing fonts issue with GNU Icecat

From: Mike Gerwitz
Subject: Re: Missing fonts issue with GNU Icecat
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2018 22:58:51 -0500

On Fri, Dec 28, 2018 at 16:07:12 +0100, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
>> ```
>> The following environment variable definitions may be needed:
>>   export
>> XDG_DATA_DIRS="$HOME/.guix-profile/share${XDG_DATA_DIRS:+:}$XDG_DATA_DIRS"
>>   export
>> GIO_EXTRA_MODULES="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/gio/modules${GIO_EXTRA_MODULES:+:}$GIO_EXTRA_MODULES"
>> ```
>
> I’m glad you figured this out.  I wonder if this means that we should
> change the icecat package to set these variables (e.g. by adding a shell
> wrapper).

Only XDG_DATA_DIRS (or XDG_DATA_HOME) are needed for me in a
container.  Is GIO_EXTRA_MODULES actually needed for anything?  I don't
even have a `lib/gio' directory in my profile.

> What do others think?

Yes, please.  IceCat is effectively completely broken without this on
foreign distros and within containers.  It looks like on GuixSD
XDG_DATA_DIRS is set in /etc/profile; I never had to set it manually.

But the presence in /etc/profile implies to me that there are other
packages that require this variable to be present.  Should those
packages also have wrapper scripts?

--
Mike Gerwitz