guix-devel

Re: Re-approaching package tagging

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Re-approaching package tagging
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2018 00:08:18 +0100

Dear,

Does the command `guix package -s rogue` fit your needs ?
Because `--search` search in synopsis and description.

Then `ruby-multi-test` is false-positive, I guess.
And `nethack` does not show up. Maybe because the description and/or
synopsis is not verbose enough.
If `guix package -s rogue -s dungeon | recsel -C -p name` then more
package are found. Do they correspond? e.g., powwow?

What is the feedback about the Debian tagging system debtags?

I mean that I am an happy user of Debian and I do not use so much
debtags. Because I do not often explore packages and so I find the
`aptitude search` regexp then grep easier to remember.

Well, other said, from my point of view,  a tag system does not solve
the issue here and it adds layer (bikeshedding?).
The easiest fix seems to improve the descriptions field. IMHO.
Or to add features to --search and regexp.
In complement to the more elegant solution proposed by swedebugia.
What do you think?

All the best,
simon