guix-devel

Re-approaching package tagging

From: Christopher Lemmer Webber
Subject: Re-approaching package tagging
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2018 14:01:20 -0500

Hello,

In the past when we've discussed package tagging, I think Ludo' has been
against it, primarily because it's a giant source of bikeshedding.  I
agree that it's a huge space for bikeshedding... no space provides more
bikeshedding than naming things, and tagging things is a many to many
naming system.

However, I will say that finding packages based on topical interest is
pretty hard right now.  If I want to find all the available roguelikes:

address@hidden:~$ guix package -A rogue
hyperrogue      10.5    out     gnu/packages/games.scm:3652:2
roguebox-adventures     2.2.1   out     gnu/packages/games.scm:1047:2

Hm, that's strange, there's definitely more roguelikes that should show
up than that!  A more specific search is even worse:

address@hidden:~$ guix package -A roguelike
address@hidden:~$

What I should have gotten back:
 - angband
 - cataclysm-dda
 - crawl
 - crawl-tiles
 - hyperrogue
 - nethack
 - roguebox-adventures
 - tome4

So I only got 1/4 of the entries I was interested in in my first query.
Too bad!

I get that we're opening up space for bikeshedding and *that's true*.
But it seems like not doing so makes things hard on users.

What do you think?  Is there a way to open the (pandora's?) box of tags
safely?

 - Chris