guix-devel

Re: Environment variables in Guix and GuixSD

From: Nils Gillmann
Subject: Re: Environment variables in Guix and GuixSD
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2018 13:49:43 +0000

Gábor Boskovits transcribed 3.2K bytes:
> Hello Ludo,
>
> 2018. nov. 7., Sze 22:55 dátummal Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> ezt írta:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Gábor Boskovits <address@hidden> skribis:
> >
> > > I have seen in the /etc/profile file that it suggest you to do something
> > like
> > >
> > > source $GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile.
> >
> > Right, you see this advice in $GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile itself.
> >
> > > This causes problems on systems where the startup file is executed by
> > > a posix /bin/sh, as this is bash specific.
> >
> > $GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile is not honored by any shell.  One has to
> > specifically put the ‘source’ line above in whichever file is
> > appropriate (~/.bash_profile, ~/.profile, /etc/profile, etc.)
> >

> I did not express myself cleanly. What my problem was that 'source' is bash
> specific, while we can use '.' in posix shells.

But you are just scratching on the surface. As I noted long time ago,
the file itself is bash specific. To have bash in there makes sense as
the project was and is Bash focused. For other shells you end up
either maintaining your own codebase or constructing bash->YOUR_SHELL
translators.

If anything it makes sense to throw (part of) this into /etc/bash/,
which at least on Gentoo is the way to define systemwide data for
Bash.