guix-devel

Re: Environment variables in Guix and GuixSD

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Environment variables in Guix and GuixSD
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2018 22:55:06 +0100

Hi,

Gábor Boskovits <address@hidden> skribis:

> I have seen in the /etc/profile file that it suggest you to do something like
>
> source $GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile.

Right, you see this advice in $GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile itself.

> This causes problems on systems where the startup file is executed by
> a posix /bin/sh, as this is bash specific.

$GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile is not honored by any shell.  One has to
specifically put the ‘source’ line above in whichever file is
appropriate (~/.bash_profile, ~/.profile, /etc/profile, etc.)

On GuixSD this happens automatically but on a foreign distro users have
to add the ‘source’ line somewhere.

Does that make sense?

Thanks,
Ludo’.