guix-devel

Re: Guix build output insufficient

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Guix build output insufficient
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2018 19:52:45 +0200

Hi Tobias,

> Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
>> Note that the patch cannot be applied because I had to change how “@
>> build-failed” is treated.  The underlying problem here is that the
>> daemon may send a multi-line message through the port, which
>> unfortunately doesn’t necessarily arrive in one piece.
>>
>> AFAICS the only such message is the hash mismatch error.  If we
>> could
>> force it to remain on one line we could better format that
>> single-line
>> string in guix/ui.scm.
>
> Didn't we change this from a one-line message relatively recently? I
> vaguely remember supporting such a change (oops... :-)

Yes, it was a change to the formatting of the message.  I also supported
this change because it makes it much easier to see how the hashes
differ.

Now that we apply post-processing to the build output in guix/ui.scm
this early formatting gets in the way.

This happened in the daemon, though, and since people don’t update the
daemon as often as they update the rest of Guix, we may need to
accomodate both formats for a while.  I’d rather wait some more time
until more of wip-ui could be merged.

(The post-processing itself unfortunately has its own downsides: the
Emacs minor mode for build logs can no longer highlight the transformed
address@hidden messages.)

--
Ricardo