guix-devel

Re: Guix build output insufficient

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: Guix build output insufficient
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2018 19:34:11 +0200

Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
Hi,

What about immediately giving the file name of the log, as with the patch attached? Several people have already mentioned not knowing about
‘guix build --log-file’ so this would probably be helpful.

This would be fine.

Note that the patch cannot be applied because I had to change how “@ build-failed” is treated. The underlying problem here is that the
daemon may send a multi-line message through the port, which
unfortunately doesn’t necessarily arrive in one piece.

AFAICS the only such message is the hash mismatch error. If we could force it to remain on one line we could better format that single-line
string in guix/ui.scm.

(Now we get half of the message, followed by another string matching “^\s+actual:\s+(.*)”, which we cannot process as we do not keep track of
state.)

--
Kind regards,

T G-R