guix-devel

Re: Leaving the guix project

From: David Craven
Subject: Re: Leaving the guix project
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2017 13:56:04 +0100

> I think if you posit a free software project that works in the way you
> describe ("on its own"), it would work very much like Guile works
> right now.

An operating system has to work on all hardware. Asking people to buy a
RYF approved device to run guixsd is no different than apple requiring you
to buy an apple computer to run mac os x. Turning guixsd into an embedded
system for RYF devices is not something I want to spend time and effort on. I
can't with good conscience recommend to people to buy a usb wifi adapter to
use guixsd when I believe they have much larger privacy issues in their devices.

To be comfortable contributing to a free project I need to know that people are
able to do whatever THEY want, with those contributions, and not what the FSF
wants. The FSDG and GNU philosophy prevent me from offering any kind of help
and require me to do it hidden. What really gets to me is that I feel
- whether justly
or not - that the FSF believes I need to feel shame for doing and recommending
whatever I believe is best. The word "immoral" in this context is
simply unacceptable
to me.

Compliance with the FSDG makes guix very much dependent on an
external entity.