guix-devel

Re: Leaving the guix project

From: Adonay Felipe Nogueira
Subject: Re: Leaving the guix project
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2017 11:48:54 -0200

Oh... I see...

One must understand that while we mustn't
recommend/install/share/sell/teach-usage-of non-free software for the
users, they *can* do whatever they want. However, as I just said: If
they want to make use of non-free software, they are on their own, and
we should try to convince them to stop using such non-free software
(note: "convincing" does not mean "forcing").

I do not represent the GuixSD project, nor the GNU project, nor the FSF,
but my understanding of the GNU FSDG so far results in the following
recommendation: If you do want to make your conotributions, and if such
contributions involve for example, making recipes for non-(free/libre),
then perhaps you have to fork the project, and use Guix package manager
as the package manager for your own system distribution, or provide your
own Guix-compatible repository. Although this will result in normal
users mistakenly using help-guix mailing list so as to seek help for
your own set of package recipes, in such cases the project will probably
make the issue reports invalid *depending on what is the issue* for each
case.