guix-devel

Re: Guix on clusters and in HPC

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Guix on clusters and in HPC
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2016 11:32:51 +0200

> Your thoughts about the point about Galaxy?

I talked to one of the Galaxy core developers at a conference and they
told me they have implemented Docker support recently.  Essentially,
they build software in a minimal Docker system and then extract the
binaries such that they can be run without Docker.

What they suggest is to add Guix support simply by using Guix inside of
Docker…  Obviously, I’m not a fan of this because of how inelegant this
all seems.  When it comes to bringing Guix to Galaxy I think we have
cultural problems to overcome, not really technical issues.

~~ Ricardo