guix-devel

Re: Guix on clusters and in HPC

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Guix on clusters and in HPC
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2016 13:51:05 +0200

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Your thoughts about the point about Galaxy?
>
> I talked to one of the Galaxy core developers at a conference and they
> told me they have implemented Docker support recently.  Essentially,
> they build software in a minimal Docker system and then extract the
> binaries such that they can be run without Docker.

OK.  So they assume the Docker daemon is running, right?  And it’s
running as root?  That’d be good for us.  ;-)

> What they suggest is to add Guix support simply by using Guix inside of
> Docker…  Obviously, I’m not a fan of this because of how inelegant this
> all seems.  When it comes to bringing Guix to Galaxy I think we have
> cultural problems to overcome, not really technical issues.

Well, if this approach allows us to demonstrate the improvements Guix
can bring (and to sidestep the cultural differences), it may be a good
idea to try it.

Thanks for your feedback,
Ludo’.