guix-devel

Re: ‘core-updates’ merge is a squashed commit

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: ‘core-updates’ merge is a squashed commit
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2016 16:07:29 +0200

Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> skribis:

> Leo Famulari <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On Thu, Aug 04, 2016 at 02:40:32PM +0200, Andreas Enge wrote:
>>> On Thu, Aug 04, 2016 at 08:36:28AM -0400, Mark H Weaver wrote:
>>> Good news, thanks for all this work!
>>
>> Indeed!

>> Yes, I had this problem yesterday.
>>
>>> A possible solution would be to disable the commit hook that forces
>>> signatures, make these commits, and reenable the hook; hoping that noone
>>> adds an unsigned commit in the meantime... It would require to coordinate
>>> with a savannah administrator.
>>
>> I think we have to do this, unfortunately.
>
> I just did this.  Huge thanks to Lisa Marie Maginnis, GNU sysadmin
> extraordinaire, for promptly responding to my plea for help :)

Awesome, thank you all!

> However, we should take steps to avoid this problem in the future.  The
> most recent unsigned commit on 'core-updates' was from only 3 days ago,
> by Andreas.  "gnu: unison: Add input ghostscript".  I'm fairly sure this
> was after we added the commit hook, so I guess the hook only applies to
> 'master'.
>
> So, if I understand correctly, we're currently in a state where unsigned
> commits can accidentally get pushed to other branches, making those
> branches unmergeable into 'master'.

The hook can be seen at (search for “Attached Files”):

  https://savannah.gnu.org/support/?109104

I think it should work equally well for all branches.  That said, the
hook is so simple that it may well be simplistic, so do not hesitate to
send improvements to the hook in this Savannah ticket.

Thanks!

Ludo’.