guix-devel

Re: ‘core-updates’ merge is a squashed commit

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: ‘core-updates’ merge is a squashed commit
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2016 08:36:28 -0400

Andreas Enge <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu, Aug 04, 2016 at 03:50:51AM -0400, Mark H Weaver wrote:
>> How about reverting the squashed commit and then re-doing a proper merge
>> from 'core-updates-2016-08-01' into 'master'?
>
> If this is possible without too many complications, that sounds like a good
> option; the earlier the better, probably, before there are too many new
> conflicts. Hm, I just tried the revert part, and it already creates a
> conflict.

On my local machine, I did this successfully by first reverting a couple
of later commits, then reverting the squashed merge, then doing a proper
merge, and finally cherry-picking the later commits.  I verified that
this sequence of operations made no changes to the tree.

Unfortunately, when I tried to push it to 'master', it was rejected
because of 56 unsigned commits on the 'core-updates' branch.  Note that
all of the new commits I made (the reverts, the merge, and the
cherry-picks) were all signed by me.  The unsigned commits that are
blocking this have been on the 'core-updates' branch for quite some
time.

If there are unsigned commits on 'core-updates-next', I guess we'll run
into the same problem trying to merge that branch later.

       Mark