guix-devel

Re: Cook source disappeared

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: Cook source disappeared
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2016 12:45:57 -0400

On Sun, Jul 24, 2016 at 06:25:14PM +0200, John Darrington wrote:
>      https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/packages/issues.html
>
> But if I understand correctly, that is not going to do anything if hydra's
> internal
> cache is good.  From what Andraes says, we only noticed this because we
> happened to
> loose the cache.

No, it checks the URLs without consulting Hydra's cache. It does not
check the content itself (the hashes).

>From that page, I noticed the issues with Cook and Aegis last year but —
considering the situation, and not knowing that Hydra's cache was not
backed up — I decided to work on other things. The cache would never
have deleted the source code as long as the packages remained in our
tree.

This project is trying to address the problem:
https://www.softwareheritage.org/

I wonder if Guix can use that archive as a last resort?