guix-devel

Re: Cook source disappeared

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Cook source disappeared
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2016 03:58:30 +0200

Yes, like Leo says, Peter Miller is deceased.

It looks as if his entire home page is now gone.  As I recall, it used to be
hosted
by the Australian Unix User Group.  I suggest they just re-arranged their web
site,
and it somehow got inadvertently dropped.

It might well be worth a mail to the webmaster asking if they know anything
about it.

     > (it is possible that the source has disappeared a while ago, but that
     > this was only noticed once the cache broke down with hydra.gnu.org).

I wonder if it would be worth having some kind of daemon which crawls and flags
sources which are either missing, or have bad checksums?

J'

On Sat, Jul 23, 2016 at 03:23:35PM -0400, Leo Famulari wrote:
     On Sat, Jul 23, 2016 at 08:46:56PM +0200, Andreas Enge wrote:
     > in Guix, the "cook" package currently does not build for lack of source
     > (it is possible that the source has disappeared a while ago, but that
     > this was only noticed once the cache broke down with hydra.gnu.org).
     > The Free Software Directory mentions version 2.25 from 2004 with a home
     > page that is not available:
     >    http://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Cook
     > This is also given at
     >    https://ftp.gnu.org/non-gnu/cook.README
     >
     > John has packaged version 2.34 for Guix in 2014 with a different home
page,
     > which is also not available.
     >
     > Does anyone of you know the current home of the software?

     The author of cook and Aegis, Peter Miller, died in 2014 [0].

     I noticed the missing source code last year, and I didn't find a new
     "canonical" source for it. Perhaps we can find it in the Debian mirrors?

     [0]
     https://www.debian.org/News/2014/20141020

--
Avoid eavesdropping.  Send strong encryted email.
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3