guix-devel

RE: Using a shared Guix store (was RE: [Bio-packaging] testing out guix)

From: Cook, Malcolm
Subject: RE: Using a shared Guix store (was RE: [Bio-packaging] testing out guix)
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2015 22:37:58 +0000

> > However
> >
> >     ./pre-inst-env guix package -i hello
> >
> > Gives me
> >
> >     guix package: error: build failed: the build users group
> > `guix-builder' has no members
> >
> > But, but, I do have a group `guix-builder`
> >
> > I think the problem may be that my guix-builder group was defined in NIS
> whereas its members are not in NIS.
>
> What does ‘getenv group guix-builder’ return?  It should show something
> like:
> guixbuild:x:30000:guixbuilder01,guixbuilder02,guixbuilder03,guixbuilder04,gu
> ixbuilder05,guixbuilder06,guixbuilder07,guixbuilder08,guixbuilder09,guixbuild
> er10

Answered below....

> Each build account must have ‘guix-builder’ in its supplementary group list.
>
> > The daemon is running as user `guix` on host  ${GUIXHOST}
>
> The daemon really needs to run as root, if possible:
>
>   http://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Build-
> Environment-Setup.html

I guess my issues are arising from challenging this (soft?) requirement.

My SA has provided me /gnu as NFS network share owned by network user `guix`
and group owned by `guix-builder`.

However it is 'root squashed' on all servers, including my GUIX_HOST.  In other
works, the root account cannot write to it.

For this reason, I have tried

        ./configure --prefix=/gnu

rather than the suggested

        ./configure --localstatedir=/gnu/var --exec-prefix=/gnu

Since this suggestion results in `make install` needed to write to both the
root-squashed network share and /usr/local which can only be done by root, an
impossibility.

Or am I thinking about this wrong?

--prefix=/gnu has some additional advantage of getting the /share directory
network wide, as presumably should be /etc/bashy_completion.d

I am making guix from fresh `git pull` master passing all tests (except for
SKIPPING the container test thanks to recent commit - last week it was failing
this one)

However, with this configuration, after install, and running the daemon as user
'guix', I now get:

        bash-4.2$ guix build hello
        guix build: error: build failed: acquiring/releasing lock: No locks
available

Oh, right, and, I am still doing by hand:
        su -c 'mkdir /gnu/var/guix/profiles/per-user; chmod a+rwx
/gnu/var/guix/profiles/per-user' - guix

So, I think if I knew a little more about guix internals, I would expect that I
could figure out a ./configuration that allows /gnu to reside on root-squashed
network share.

Ricardo, you seem to have something _like_ this working.  I'm guessing that
your /gnu was local to your GUIXHOST, and so you did not need to solve this
root squash issue.

Ricard & Ludo, do you mind thinking this through a little further with me?

Here is current my account setup

        getent group guix-builder

guix-builder:!:20302:guix-builder1,guix-builder2,guix-builder3,guix-builder4,guix-builder5,guix-builder6,guix-builder7,guix-builder8,guix-builder9,guix-builder10

        getent passwd guix
        guix:$1$E5Ru3NpE$wZZY.cM8TwbRMHBI1UP110:3036:20302:Guix build
user:/var/empty:/bin/bash

        getent passwd guix-builder1 ## and all the other guix-builder
        guix-builder1:!!:3048:20302:Guix build user 1:/var/empty:/sbin/nologin

~Malcolm