guix-devel

Re: Using a shared Guix store (was RE: [Bio-packaging] testing out guix)

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Using a shared Guix store (was RE: [Bio-packaging] testing out guix)
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2015 10:39:10 +0200

"Cook, Malcolm" <address@hidden> skribis:

>> Another one, which I think Ricardo has been investigating lately, would be to
>> have users manage their profiles via the Web user interface,
>> guix-web: <https://git.dthompson.us/guix-web.git>.  (The video
>> <http://audio-video.gnu.org/video/misc/2015-
>> 01__GNU_Guix__The_Emacs_of_Distros.webm>
>> has a demo starting at around 23mn.)
>
> Hmm, it is not clear to me how this would play out in a multi-user
> environment.  Having a web server that could alter per-user profiles sounds
> like a recipe for more confusion, rather than a solution.
>
> In any case, in my opinion, it would be a mistake to have depend on another
> tool (such as guix-web, or something similar) to implement functionality that
> could not be gained at using command-line  guix.  Don't you agree?

I’m just mentioning it as an additional option, for those who like it.

>> implemented.
>> >
>> > Sounds great.  On the roadmap?
>>
>> Definitely.  There are details to be sorted out (SSH vs. plain old socket),
>> but
>> we should discuss it and “get it done.”
>
> Are there any signposts on this road-map emerging?  Is there any way I can
> help, such as review proposals for how the CLI would work, I'd be happy to
> chip in.  Not ready to start slinging guile though.  Maybe later (the old
> lisper in me revels at the thought).

Yes, one way to help would be by trying a simple setup using Guix as it
currently exists, coupled with socat:

If you could test this and provide feedback about the other options
discussed there, that would be great (please email
address@hidden)

So no ETA, but once we have feedback from you, Ricardo, and other
interested parties, it will be easier to make a choice and implement it.
:-)

Thanks,
Ludo’.