guix-devel

Re: PATCH: LibreOffice

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: PATCH: LibreOffice
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2015 21:50:15 +0200

On Sun, May 31, 2015 at 01:42:30PM -0400, Mark H Weaver wrote:
> Please do (version-prefix version 3) instead.  You'll need to import
> (guix utils) for it.

Very neat! I knew about version-major+minor, but not this one.

On Sun, May 31, 2015 at 10:32:39PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> I think we should try hard to not make Libreoffice depend on
> Autoconf/Automake; it’s always a good idea to avoid it, but even more so
> here given the build time and size of the thing.  :-)
> Does that seem doable?

I will try it out. Given the build time and the fact that parallel builds
do not work (but they seemed to have worked for John last year, I have no
idea why there is a problem now), things advance at a very leisurely pace.
Now that I deleted my which.go, I need to recompile with the which from base.
So this will be the build process for tonight, tomorrow, I can try out
something else :-)

On Mon, Jun 01, 2015 at 02:52:05PM +0200, John Darrington wrote:
> Obviously any exercise in Free Software is "doable" (we have the source code!)
> but, my experience in packaging for Guix tells me that it can be very easy to
> fall into the trap of making changes to the upstream packages which
> effectively
> forks them.  Then we become the maintainer of a forked package.

Of course that is something we should avoid. With a bit of luck here, though,
libreoffice will compile with a non-patched xmlsec tarball. After all, we will
not install binaries or scripts from xmlsec (at least I hope so), so maybe
the patch-shebang phase is not really required. We will see.

Andreas