guix-devel

Re: Guix in single-user mode (degenerated?)

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Guix in single-user mode (degenerated?)
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2015 21:56:42 +0200

Pjotr Prins <address@hidden> skribis:

> Q1: How does single-user degenerated mode actually work? I suppose
> 'degenerated' refers to the fact that all packages have to be rebuilt
> (non-binary install) and/or that it is single threaded?

I think you mean “degraded”, but there’s no such mode, where did you
read about it?  :-)

The last paragraph at
<http://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Build-Environment-Setup.html>
mentions use of the daemon by non-root users, and suggests that this is
the last resort.

> Q2: How do I use it?

guix-daemon --disable-chroot

> Q3: Anyone using it right now?

My guess is that it’s not widely used.

> There are situations where I can't get root - mostly on scientific
> cluster environments. I don't think it is a priority, but it would be
> a good to have if it works.

Yes, that’s an issue.  Unfortunately, users would sacrifice
reproducibility by running the daemon as non-root (and we would get
reports about builds that fail unexpectedly), and using a non-standard
store directory may also hit shebang length limits and so on.

So I think we must bribe a bunch of HPC sysadmins ;-), get experience
with real system-wide installations on such systems, and see what needs
to be adjusted.  Thanks to Ricardo and his lab we already have some
feedback: <http://elephly.net/posts/2015-04-17-gnu-guix.html>.

If you are in a position where you can experiment with such a setup,
your experience would be invaluable!

Ludo’.