guix-devel

Re: Problems with downloading from https

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: Problems with downloading from https
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 10:43:48 -0400

Alex Kost <address@hidden> writes:

> Why not just allow gnutls and other packages to install guile modules in
> a site dir (without version) and to augment GUILE_LOAD_PATH with it as I
> suggested at
> <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2014-10/msg00333.html>?

In my opinion, this is the right fix.  There is plenty of Guile code
that works on both Guile 1.8 and Guile 2.0, so there's no need to put
Scheme modules in versioned directories.  We provide 'cond-expand' when
it's really needed, after all.

Guile 2 puts both "site/2.0" and "site" in its load path by default,
which signals to developers that they can choose either location.

Furthermore, if changing the installation directory of the GnuTLS
modules broke Guix, there's a non-trivial possibility that we might
break something else.

Please, let's leave the GnuTLS modules where they are, and add "site" to
the search-path-specification, as Alex suggests.

What do you think?

      Mark