guix-devel

Re: Problems with downloading from https

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Problems with downloading from https
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 17:24:14 +0100

Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> skribis:

> Alex Kost <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Why not just allow gnutls and other packages to install guile modules in
>> a site dir (without version) and to augment GUILE_LOAD_PATH with it as I
>> suggested at
>> <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2014-10/msg00333.html>?
>
> In my opinion, this is the right fix.  There is plenty of Guile code
> that works on both Guile 1.8 and Guile 2.0, so there's no need to put
> Scheme modules in versioned directories.  We provide 'cond-expand' when
> it's really needed, after all.

A problem is that it would make it impossible to install the 1.8/2.1 and
the 2.0 version of something in the same profile.

Currently it’s possible to install both ‘python’ and ‘python2’ in the
same profile, as well as ‘python-foo’ and ‘python2-foo’.

With the addition of a --program-suffix configure flag, it would be
possible to do the same with Guile 1.8/2.0/2.1.

I think it’s a useful feature.  WDYT?

> Furthermore, if changing the installation directory of the GnuTLS
> modules broke Guix, there's a non-trivial possibility that we might
> break something else.

Given that the search path spec for guile-2.0 has always been site/2.0,
I think this change is unlikely to break anything else.  On the
contrary: this change brought GnuTLS in conformance with the other
Guile-using packages.

Thanks,
Ludo’.