guile-gtk-general

The Split, module namespace, upcoming g-wrap features

From: Andreas Rottmann
Subject: The Split, module namespace, upcoming g-wrap features
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 18:38:11 +0200

Hi!

First, I'd like to say that the split is going really smooth -- I now
have glib, pango, atk and gtk basically ready. Before I go on
converting the whole thing, I'd like finish a discussion point you
raised a while ago:

,----
| > > For the record, this would be the time to decide on how our module
| > > tree should really look. (gnome pango), (gnome gtk), (gnome source-view)
| > > sound like fine names to me. Can we put all the g-wrap libs in a
| > > separate namespace? (gnome gw gw-gtk) or (gnome g-wrapped gw-gtk) or
| > > (gnome gw gtk) or something. Thoughts?
| > >
| > I think it should be possible, but I don't really see why we should do
| > that, since they have prefixed gw- anyway.
|
| Well, it's for aesthetic reasons when browsing a module tree. Also one
| difference from the present situation is that we require a proper module
| for each library, and we forbid (under pain of death) anyone to use just
| a g-wrapped module. The only problem I see with the plan is that we want
| the source tree to mimic the installed tree. I might do this change,
| though, if I'm feeling rash one day ;)
`----

Since the directory hierarchy has to be changed for the split anyway,
I'd like to make this change now. I prefer the (gnome gw gtk) option
-- thoughts?

On another front, I've just added default argument support to g-wrap
and might look into combined arguments (where you have e.g. a pointer
and an int forming an array) soonish. I'll add the little bit of
machinery needed for default values in defs-support this weekend and
also expect to have finished the split by Monday.

Andy
--
Andreas Rottmann         | address@hidden      | address@hidden | address@hidden

To iterate is human; to recurse, divine.