guile-gtk-general

Re: run-time wrapping for GTK+ 2 working

From: Andreas Rottmann
Subject: Re: run-time wrapping for GTK+ 2 working
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 16:47:13 +0100

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sat, 25 Oct 2003, Andreas Rottmann wrote:
>
>> Andreas Rottmann <address@hidden> writes:
>> > I just made the first sucessful tests with the runtime wrappers. It
>> > ran tic-tac-toe, hello-world-generic and the graphical repl fine
>> > (tried no others yet). I consider this a kind of "proof-of-concept"
>> > milestone ;-). The problem is, altough I also have a lot of changes
>> > that can be used without g-wrap modification, this is not one of them;
>> > g-wrap does all the runtime wrapping stuff, altough requiring changes
>> > to the wrapsets specs to make use of it.
>> >
>> And furthermore, generic function and method creation is done now in
>> g-wrap, which also adds complete method signatures (they are now
>> specialized for all parameters wich have a "class name" (which can be
>> set at type creation time).
>
> Fabulous! On my part, I have some further updates that allow
>
> (define-class <my-window> (<gtk-window>))
>
> to work like you think it would (subclassing the gtk-window and all,
> as well as a more GOOPSy syntax for creating properties and
> signals. And a big reorganization in gobject.scm, and a slew of
> other bugfixes.

Sounds very nice!

> I'll bring my laptop to work tomorrow and sync up, if things don't
> take too long. It looked like your changes aren't so deep, so the
> merge will be easy (but manual).

Yes, the changes so far are not deep-cutting. The ones I've
outstanding are g-wrap related (mostly moving the method/generic
function logic into g-wrap, where it really belongs, IMO).

> I also wrapped libglade's custom widget handler so you can even put lambda
> expressions into the`function' box of glade's custom widget screen. Rock!

Hmm, I have not yet much done with glade + custom widgets. What
exactly does this mean?

Cheers, Andy
--
Andreas Rottmann         | address@hidden      | address@hidden | address@hidden
http://www.8ung.at/rotty | GnuPG Key: http://www.8ung.at/rotty/gpg.asc

Python is executable pseudocode, Perl is executable line-noise.