Re: Updated HACKING

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Updated HACKING
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 23:27:01 +0200

2008/9/4 Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden>:
> Hi,
>
> Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On Wed 03 Sep 2008 19:35, Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> How about the following:
>>>

>>> - Provide a description in the commit message, like so:
>>>
>>>   1-line description of change
>>>
>>>   More extensive discussion of your change.  Document why you are
>>>   changing things.
>>>
>>>   * filename (function name): file specific change comments.
>>
>> This looks really good to me. If we move from ChangeLogs, then it makes
>> sense to adjust the format as necessary, preserving the same semantics.
>> We should probably propose this as the standard GNU format, actually. (I
>> believe bzr people use something like this as well.)
>
> Actually, what you're proposing is what I had in mind.  :-)
>
> It's essentially the GNU ChangeLog format, with the addition of the
> summary line and optional extended summary.  Adding a one-line summary
> has been common practice in some projects, there are examples in Gnulib
> and Guile.

For the record, I'm happy with this too.  Thanks Han-Wen for
describing this in HACKING (and for the other updates).

So, have we yet announced that we're definitively switching from
ChangeLog change logs to Git commit message change logs?  In case
anyone's in doubt: we are.

In practice, I believe the last commit with a ChangeLog change was
31st August, so for the record (if needed) we can say that the switch
happened from 1st September onwards.

Regards,
      Neil