Re: Updated HACKING

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Updated HACKING
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 23:35:15 -0300

Ludovic Courtès escreveu:
> Hi,
>
> Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Please check dev/hanwen for changes.
>
> The `HACKING' changes looks good overall, thank you!  The "complete
> description in the commit message" should rather be "complete
> ChangeLog-style description in the commit message (see the GNU Coding
> Standards for details)".  The sentence "Post your patch to
> address@hidden" lacks a period.

How about the following:

- Provide a description in the commit message, like so:

  1-line description of change

  More extensive discussion of your change.  Document why you are
  changing things.

  * filename (function name): file specific change comments.

This the 1 line + more extensive doc is the standard for git (AFAIK)
and lilypond. Background info is very useful for later referral.

I would like to propose to only have the

 * filename

sections if there are file specific notes that are not covered by
the general description and git's list of modified files.