Re: Unbuffered socket I/O

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Unbuffered socket I/O
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 20:32:28 +0000

> I tried it with TCP server-side sockets and the performance impact is
> _huge_.  Actually, it seems even hard to write a TCP server without this
> because it takes so long to read a single octet that clients may
> time-out before the server is done receiving their request! (I observed
> this with RPC server/clients)

I have no technical objection to your patch, but I'm afraid you must
be missing something, or else there is something special about the
environment that you were measuring in.  I have played with a few
TCP-based Guile applications (including the Emacs debugging interface)
and not noticed any obvious performance problem.

Regards,
     Neil