Re: Unbuffered socket I/O

From: Kevin Ryde
Subject: Re: Unbuffered socket I/O
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 09:57:10 +1100

> Is there a reason why `SCM_SOCK_FD_TO_PORT ()' in `socket.c' asks for an
> unbuffered port?

To make send and receive conversations reliable, according to sockets
section in the manual.  (I don't think I added that.  I hope I'm not
claiming my own words as an authority!)

Also of course send and recv! don't use the buffering, so there's no
point having it when working with packets.

>   #define SCM_SOCK_FD_TO_PORT(fd) \
>      scm_fdes_to_port (fd, "r", sym_socket)

That's an incompatible change, I think, since it can leave unflushed
data where previously it went straight out.

Perhaps the unbuffering can be reiterated in the manual or docstrings
in each of socket, socketpair and accept which create such ports.