Re: Should we distribute libltdl?

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: Should we distribute libltdl?
Date: 08 Mar 2005 18:10:46 -0500

  > Yes, but I think Guile is very reasonable with its "bunch of other
  > stuff".  It only really requires libgmp and libltdl.  The versions of
  > these that are in the mainstream distributions should suffice.

  The mainstream distributions "of Linux" :).  My world is about 1/4 Linux
  and doesn't Guile's "u" stand for "ubiquitous"?  ;-)

I'm very sensitive to this, as my world is about 0.01 Linux (mostly
NetBSD).  My point was that modern operating systems usually have some
flavor of package management.  Linux distriutions have ways, FreeBSD
and OpenBSD have ports, NetBSD has pkgsrc, and it seems there are ways
to do this on Solaris and Mac OS X.  Note that pkgsrc works on many
OSes - I believe all of the above, IRIX, and even AIX sort of.

Using the included libraries when the package is not found only seems
reasonable for libraries that will be statically linked into the
installed program, so that doing this doesn't preclude later
installing the needed libraries.  This seems not to be how guile does
it, so that seems to be asking for trouble, but perhaps I misunderstand.

--
        Greg Troxel <address@hidden>