Re: Internal defines

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: Internal defines
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 20:33:43 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Tom Lord <address@hidden>

    > Guile currently does not detect that error and simply returns 6 for
    > the second, error-laden, form.  Thus, Guile's conformance is saved in
    > this instance by the distinction between "is an error" and "an error
    > is signaled".

    > It is _slightly_ intimidating to think of what would be required of an
    > implementation, especially an SCM-derived implementation, to actually
    > detect that error.   Overall, Guile suffers from the sin of SCM -- of
    > not making expansion and evaluation separate phases.

I just wanted to add that the SCM-family's approach to macros _is_
intrinsicly useful -- as a kind of primitive for implementing
graph-rewriting systems -- even though it's not (without extreme
contortions) appropriate for Scheme macros.

It might be fun to see if someone can make a useful normal-order
evaluation functional langauge using SCM's defmacro facility....

-t