Re: specifying workbook dir for dist-hook

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: specifying workbook dir for dist-hook
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2002 19:50:14 -0700

   From: Marius Vollmer <address@hidden>
   Date: 08 Apr 2002 02:06:14 +0200

   However, automake-1.4-p4 incorrectly does _not_ handle include
   directives with filenames that contain a '-'.  It copies these lines
   unchanged to the Makefile.in.

hmmm, i don't understand how "-" is a problem since there is also
"pre-inst-guile" (see libguile/Makefile.am), which has worked fine for
months.  what you see may be because of other reasons (i gave my best
guesses already, only automake hackers can really say).

   > you'll also note from point 1 above that none of this has anything to do
   > w/ GNU make (thankfully :-).

   It has, unfortunately, because GNU make also handles include
   directives and thus covers up for the bug in automake 1.4.  It will
   execute the include directive that automake missed.

sorry i wasn't clear; root cause is w/ (mis-use of) automake, not GNU
make.  i agree that requiring GNU make is certainly not acceptable.
(supposedly that's why we use these auto* tools.)

   Sooo, I'd say we should just require automake 1.5.

sounds reasonable.  i remember HACKING used to list tool versions, but
that isn't the case presently.

thi