Regarding (bug "versioning-of-extensions")

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Regarding (bug "versioning-of-extensions")
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 15:27:51 -0600

As our temporary fix for 1.6, it looks like it's going to be easy to
switch to adding the INTERFACE number to the end of the lib, i.e.

  libguilesrfi-srfi-13-14_15.so.X.Y.Z

and for now I'm using an underscore to separate out the version number
from the library name[1].

However, as you may or may not know, when you specify the three
library versioning numbers to libtool, you're *not* specifying the
major.minor.revision numbers for the lib -- libtool computes those
from what you give it based on its versioning semantics.

For example, right now we have an INTERFACE_VERSION for guile-readline
of 15 and an INTERFACE_AGE of 1 in
guile-readline/LIBGUILEREADLINE-VERSION.  This will cause libtool to
build

  libguilereadline_15.so.14.2.0

Note the "13" rather than a "15".  So our _15 in the name won't
actually match the real major number of the lib.  I'm not sure this
really matters, since all we really need is for the names of these
libs to be unique and to not match either guile 1.3.4 or 1.4's names
or guile 1.8 and above's, but I thought I'd point it out in case
someone else sees a problem.

Thanks

[1] for now -- I may need to change this since it might make packaging
guile 1.6 for Debian a little harder than necessary

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu