Re: More Bug Stuff

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: More Bug Stuff
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 20:02:17 -0800

   From: Evan Prodromou <address@hidden>
   Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 10:52:45 -0600

   It's much easier to auto-generate a unique number than a meaningful
   unique symbolic name.

if it's not easier it's more fun to write, no?

   It makes writing parsers easier. Do you really need the flexibility of
   using ANY kind of address header?

i don't understand you.  to me, using ANY instead of some other
complicated syntax is the most flexible, for other tools.

   It makes it much easier to say things like this: [...]
   I'm a little confused why you say that priority assignment is "mostly
   arbitrary"[...]

probably mvo means this kind of scheme is fine to set up, but not in the
bugs database.  prioritization is larger in scope than bugs handling and
generally prioritization schemes are never universal (among humans).

this would be a good time to suggest that render-bugs in the future also
handle small writes to the db (rendering it more like "edit-bugs"), such
as maintaining a "priority: ((WHO N) ...)" header.

   Sorry, I mistakenly used the word "task" here, which seems to have
   confused you. What I should have said was "piece of work." If a
   release went out with the FSF address misspelled, this would be a low
   _severity_ bug, but a high _priority_ one.

   Anyways, OK, the rest looks good.

you're overspecifying, dude.  c'mon man!  first get the core done so we
can jump in w/ passing around higher order functions and all that good
stuff.  separate mechanism and policy and post something elegant.
[insert small steps rant.]

(sorry, i have been -er- wafting some vapors of late.)

thi