grub-devel

[RFC] change grub_print_error to use stderr for the utils

From: Felix Zielcke
Subject: [RFC] change grub_print_error to use stderr for the utils
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 19:35:26 +0200

Hello,

Am Mittwoch, den 13.08.2008, 11:38 +0200 schrieb Marco Gerards:
> > 2008-08-12  Felix Zielcke <address@hidden>
> >
> >         * kern/err.c [GRUB_UTIL]: Include <stdio.h>.
> >           (grub_print_error) [GRUB_UTIL]: Use fprintf (stderr, ...) instead
> > of
> >           grub_printf.
>
> If there is another way to do this, I would prefer this.

Now with remaking that grub_print_error () patch I began to doubt if
that `GRUB fears raid 6 so much that it goes to rescue mode if it just
sees one which it doestn't need to access at all' should be changed for
lenny.
Robert confirmed my doubts on IRC i.e. he said, it's better to discuss
the whole thing first.

This is my first mail about this:

just using grub_dprintf isn't that great, I'd like to have at least
`grub-probe -vv' show the unknown RAID level message.

The other patch, which changes grub_print_error () to use stderr and let
the raid.mod itself print the error instead of giving it to the upper
layer isn't that great either.

Real GRUB shows for every RAID 6 disk once `unknown RAID level 6' e.g.
in my VMware testcase with 4 disks 4 times.

grub-install /dev/sda with raid 6 not even assembled i.e.
empty /proc/mdstat shows it 6 times, I think once for each time
grub-probe gets called.

By the way my last patch isn't even compiling because I forgot to make
some other stuff from kern/err.c avaible to it i.e.
grub_error_stack_assert is declared as static  but used in
grub_print_error ()
and there's another problem grub-mkimage includes util/misc.c but not
kern/err.c so the other functions and variables needed by it aren't
avaible.

So please comment this.