Re: [groff] Upgrade to 1.22.4 breaks PDF font

From: John Gardner
Subject: Re: [groff] Upgrade to 1.22.4 breaks PDF font
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2019 16:03:15 +1100

*> (although groff was installed from a pre-built package (or "bottle")),
the only options were the "--prefix" option and "--without-x".*

There used to be three other options as well:

--with-gropdf  (Enable PDF output support)
--with-grohtml  (Enable HTML output support (implies --with-gropdf))
--with-gpresent  (Install macros for the presentations document format)

However, these were removed last October, for uncertain reasons:

https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/commit/da1975623922cf2d64ced525ddee7e36511d42ab

Presumably, the switches were axed because they were wishy-washy. All that
--with-gropdf did was add Ghostscript as a dependency, and the post-install
notes had this message:

*Attempting to use PDF or HTML output support without using --with-gropdf
> or --with-grohtml may result in errors*

You might want to report this upstream if the switches are still important.