RE: [Groff] tmac man pages

From: P. Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
Subject: RE: [Groff] tmac man pages
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 15:56:06 -0500

This should be conditioned in the autoconf scripts to be so if and only if
there is no system supplied man pages, in which case the man pages should
be linked to different names:

groff_me.7   mge.7
groff_ms.7   mgs.7
groff_mm.7   mgm.7

The proposed names are open to discussion but *are* the alternate names
for direct access under the circumstances, namely, real troff installed
somewhere.

This way, us few with the privilege of having access to an ATT ditroff or
whatever, won?t have our mint-fresh (yeah right ;) system configuration
messed up. BTW, in Solaris and other systems (Ultrix and DECUnix come to
mind) the macro description pages are located in man5...

>- Not sure about groff_mdoc.7.

It might conflict in BSDish 4.3 and later systems (OpenBSD, FreeBSD,
blah)...

>- Don't link man(7); for it is used by the man package unfortunately.
>  Don't link the man pages for the newer groff macro packages.

But give some sort of starting man page for the totally clueless as perl.1
;)