Re: [Groff] color support in grotty

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] color support in grotty
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 00:27:50 +0100 (CET)

> > I think the philosophically correct fix is for me to conditionally
> > define the yel/Yel strings to be \m[yellow] and \M[yellow] if the
> > postprocessor is "grotty" (even though they will still come out
> > orange on an xterm) and \m[orange] and \M[orange] for all other
> > postprocessors.
> >
> On ttys, yellow has always been quite dark.  The normal yellow is
> implemented as "bright yellow".

What you describe is the behaviour of IBM's terminal for PCs.  The
bright colours are used for the bold attribute.  SGR escape sequences
only define 8 colors.

You can reconfigure your xterm to use bright colors for fonts 1-8.

> Usually, there are problems with redefining yellow, but as groff
> input is intended to be device-independent a correct color
> translation seems to be wanted.

The name of the color doesn't matter.  It is only important that the
RGB value #FFFF00 is sent to grotty to select the SGR escape sequence
for yellow.  Say

  .if n \
  .  defcolor orange rgb #FFFF00

and you are done.